I am Going to Quit Running

At exactly 5 am every day little feet pitter patter down the hallway, yells and laughs bellow out of Crab’s room, the shower faucet springs to action, and light seeps into our bedroom; so there is truly no sleeping through it all.

Luckily, on the weekends, there is no alarm and Chris does not jump into the shower at 5 am, so the kids sleep until the late hour of 6 am if we keep quiet enough. The moment Monkey hears a noise, he’s up and downstairs turning on lights and ready to start his day.

Five years I keep thinking… five years and they’ll want to sleep in on the weekends.

The past two weeks have gone rather well when it comes to getting up at 5 am and getting in my workouts, I didn’t have much choice. Let’s take a look at how the last week shook out for my training:

Monday – 5 am 30 min walk on the treadmill
Tuesday – 5 am 30 min run on the treadmill
Wednesday – 5 am 30 min walk on the treadmill
Thursday – 5 am 30 min run on the treadmill
Friday – 5 am 30 min walk on the treadmill
Saturday – off
Sunday – off / began the 8Safe elimination diet (more to come)
Monday – 4.5-mile run/walk/run outdoors followed by a 30 min walk outdoors with the dog

I’ve been working on getting my mid-week runs as straight runs vs. run-walk-runs. I like to just run the entire time and while it is a bit more taxing on my body, I am glad to push through.

Monday became my long run day after putting it off for the best weather over the 3-day weekend. The weather was supposed to be warmest on then, so that was the main reason for doing so. Also, I didn’t want to get behind on my workouts, so I added the 30 min walk to the end of the run to keep pace with my schedule. Of course, Ruby was anxious to go with me, too.

After putting off my run, I ended up anxious about it. I noticed that when I put my runs to a day or two later on the weekends I constantly think about them and how hard they might be. This weekend was no exception and at one point I just said to Chris, “I think I’m going to quit running.”

He laughed at me and told me to just go run already. Alright, alright.

Of course, he was right. After I did, I felt awesome and did not regret the run at all.

This is my regular half training schedule:
Mon – 30 min walk
Tues – 30 min run
Wed – 30 min walk
Thurs – 30 min run
Fri – 30 min walk
Sat – off / Sun – long run r/w/r

Rinse. Repeat.

Rinse. Repeat. 30 weeks later…

Running is hard.

No matter how many times I do it and no matter how many days, weeks, months, or years in a row I run regularly, it still is hard. That first mile is always the toughest, but once I warm up I am happy to continue. If I’m not particularly feeling a run I give myself a mile to make a decision. Usually, I opt to keep going because after a mile it’s become more natural.

I’m glad 5 am workouts are, um, working out. I am tired some days and like today I decided to walk instead of run because I ran yesterday. So, a few flip-flopped workouts, but overall I’m sticking with the schedule. On days I walk, I’ve started adding in abdominal exercises and lower back exercises. In time, I plan to add in body-weight or free-weight training to those days as well.

So, I’m not going to quit running despite not always loving it. It is difficult, but it also gives me such a sense of accomplishment. It helps me to put more life in my days, and maybe a few more days in my life.