DIY: Dining Room Before and After

Our dining room is finished! Outside of Chris wanting to make custom frames for prints I have yet to create or buy yet. As a reminder, here’s what it looked like as we started our renovation.

And to spare you all of the details, here is the finished product with chair rails, molding boxes, and fresh paint and trims.

Now, if you want to see a little more, here’s Chris finishing up the molding boxes with a little caulk the first weekend we worked on the project.

This past weekend, we got around to painting. Now, I love to tell everyone who will listen that I paint without tape! Only once in my life I tried to use tape to paint, and it was more trouble than it was worth. So, I have taken the time to learn the subtle skill of painting with angled brushes to get a nice coat around the edges. Saves so much time fiddling with tape.

Here’s another photo just to show you, I really don’t use any tape. I painted this entire room, around all edges and trims without an ounce of the blue stuff.

Chris never does well on edges, and I hate rollers. So luckily, we balance each other out well when it comes to projects like these. Rollers are just too heavy for me, and I always glob the paint on too thick and it drips.

Here’s another angle of the one side of the dining room. We plan to put custom frames on the wall, but so far I don’t like Chris’ ideas for what may go in them.

Another sweet spot that looks so fancy.

And the before and after together. Voila!

I’d say we did a pretty darn good job with having two kids 5 and 2 running around under our feet the entire two weekends it took to finish this project. We are happy that the dining room finally looks finished and polished. It makes me want to continue renovating the rest of the downstairs (projects slated for spring and summer). Renovations are fun, and they never seem to end!

2 thoughts on “DIY: Dining Room Before and After

Comments are closed.