In addition to using the juicer, I have gotten in the habit of making cashew milk every few days in my Vitamix. I stopped consuming nuts for a while after my 8-Safe Elimination Diet because they showed to cause some eczema. After being off gluten for almost a year now, I have been able to add back in small offenders (nuts and fish) without any issues.
Cashew milk is so simple to make in a strong blender because you don’t even have to strain it! I am replacing my processed coconut milk drinks with cashew milk going forward. Goodbye So Delicious and your additives!
Kate’s Cashew Milk:
- soak 1 cup of cashews in water overnight (or at least 4 hours)
- add 2 cups of filtered water to a blender
- add the 1 cup of soaked cashews after rinsing
- blend for 1-2 minutes
- add 2 additional cups of filtered water
- add 1-2 tablespoons of maple syrup (or sweetener of choice)
- add a pinch of cinnamon
- add 2 tsp of vanilla
Kate’s Banana PB Breakfast Drink:
- add 1 banana to the blender
- fill cashew milk to 2 cup line (ends up being 1-1 1/2 cups milk)
- add a dollop of peanut butter
- add 1 tbsp of cocoa powder
Sometimes I’ll make them two at a time for easier cleanup, but otherwise, that’s it! They keep me satiated for a long time include healthy fats and proteins. Plus, they aren’t filled with any processed additives. I hope to eventually switch over our kiddos morning protein smoothies to my favorite drink as well.
Needing a Change
I’m trying to back off of a few things nutritionally since I gained a whopping 20lbs in the past few months. Namely, drinking Kefir and dairy milk, stress eating, and consuming homemade brews. I’ve put all my fermentations on hold for a little while until I get back into the groove of a healthier, lighter lifestyle.
Oh, and I added my running schedule back to my calendar. I need to get my act together and not give up!